Re: summary="" in HTML5 ISSUE-32

On Feb 26, 2009, at 6:08 AM, Dan Connolly wrote:

> That's the 2nd time in this thread that I've seen someone take issue
> with the problem statement/goals. (the other
> was Faulkner 24 Feb 2009 10:25:49 +0000).
>
> Ian, I have seen your responses regarding some of the proposed
> solutions, but not these points about the problem statement.
>
> What do you think of the more constrained problem statement,
> addressing "rendering to non-visual media such as speech
> and Braille"?

Limiting the problem scope to non-visual media would, at first glance,
violate our Media Independence and Accessibility design principles:

http://www.w3.org/TR/html-design-principles/#media-independence
http://www.w3.org/TR/html-design-principles/#accessibility

If there is a specific reason that a feature only for non-visual media
would be more effective than a feature for all media, perhaps because
trying to be fully general hurts the non-visual case, then it might be
appropriate to have a feature for non-visual users only. But it seems
to me that assuming this in the problem statement is contrary to our
Design Principles. We should consider all users unless there is a
specific reason not to in a particular instance.

Regards,
Maciej