Re: summary="" in HTML5 ISSUE-32

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 11:16:18 -0800
Cc: Matt Morgan-May <mattmay@adobe.com>, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>, David Poehlman <poehlman1@comcast.net>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, Robert J Burns <rob@robburns.com>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, "Gregory J. Rosmaita" <oedipus@hicom.net>, Leif Halvard Silli <lhs@malform.no>, James Graham <jgraham@opera.com>, Joshue O Connor <joshue.oconnor@cfit.ie>, Steve Axthelm <steveax@pobox.com>, Steven Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>, Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>, HTMLWG <public-html@w3.org>, "wai-xtech@w3.org" <wai-xtech@w3.org>, "wai-liaison@w3.org" <wai-liaison@w3.org>, "janina@rednote.net" <janina@rednote.net>, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, W3C WAI Protocols & Formats <w3c-wai-pf@w3.org>
To: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>

On Feb 26, 2009, at 6:08 AM, Dan Connolly wrote:

> That's the 2nd time in this thread that I've seen someone take issue
> with the problem statement/goals. (the other
> was Faulkner 24 Feb 2009 10:25:49 +0000).
>
> Ian, I have seen your responses regarding some of the proposed
> solutions, but not these points about the problem statement.
>
> What do you think of the more constrained problem statement,
> addressing "rendering to non-visual media such as speech
> and Braille"?

Limiting the problem scope to non-visual media would, at first glance,
violate our Media Independence and Accessibility design principles:

http://www.w3.org/TR/html-design-principles/#media-independence
http://www.w3.org/TR/html-design-principles/#accessibility

If there is a specific reason that a feature only for non-visual media
would be more effective than a feature for all media, perhaps because
trying to be fully general hurts the non-visual case, then it might be
appropriate to have a feature for non-visual users only. But it seems
to me that assuming this in the problem statement is contrary to our
Design Principles. We should consider all users unless there is a
specific reason not to in a particular instance.

Regards,
Maciej