Re: summary="" in HTML5 ISSUE-32

From: Leif Halvard Silli <lhs@malform.no>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 16:42:54 +0100
To: Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>
CC: Steven Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>, David Poehlman <poehlman1@comcast.net>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, HTMLWG <public-html@w3.org>, W3C WAI Protocols & Formats <w3c-wai-pf@w3.org>
Simon Pieters 2009-02-26 12.39:
> On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 12:28:00 +0100, Simon Pieters:
>
>> At best you could make summary="" visible in standards mode but not in
>> quirks mode, but I'd bet that would still "break" too many pages for
>> browser vendords to be able to do (and we generally don't want to add
>> more differences between the modes anyway). I've added
>>
>>    table:before { content:attr(summary); display:table-caption }
>>
>> to my user style sheet to see what it looks like. Now I just need a
>> list of random pages that use summary... Ah, here we go:
>> http://canvex.lazyilluminati.com/survey/2007-07-17/analyse.cgi/tagattr/table/summary
>>

> I've now looked at some of these pages and concluded that it's not
> acceptable to make summary="" visible due to pages that say
> summary="Layout table" or summary="right column", etc. I also noted that
> not all of those are in quirks mode.

Firstly, you should make @summary display on :hover, and place it
  *above* the table, so that it doesn't disturb the layout. Then
it should not disturb you any more than @title content generally do.

/* Probaly only works in Opera - other UAs require "more".
    For "more", see: http://malform.no/html5/summary+css */
table:hover:before{
	display:table-caption;
	content:"Summary: " attr(summary);
	background:yellow;
	position:absolute;}
table:active:before{
	display:none;}

But ideally, the @summary attribute should be activated *not* by
hovering over the table, but by hovering over the caption. Thus we
create a link between caption and @summary and encourage authors
to add both a caption and a summary.
--
leif halvard silli