Re: summary="" in HTML5 ISSUE-32

From: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 11:37:50 -0800
To: David Poehlman <poehlman1@comcast.net>
Cc: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, Robert J Burns <rob@robburns.com>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, "Gregory J. Rosmaita" <oedipus@hicom.net>, Leif Halvard Silli <lhs@malform.no>, James Graham <jgraham@opera.com>, Joshue O Connor <joshue.oconnor@cfit.ie>, Steve Axthelm <steveax@pobox.com>, Steven Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>, Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>, HTMLWG <public-html@w3.org>, wai-xtech@w3.org, wai-liaison@w3.org, janina@rednote.net, Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>, Matt Morgan-May <mattmay@adobe.com>, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, "W3C WAI Protocols & Formats" <w3c-wai-pf@w3.org>
On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 10:50 AM, David Poehlman <poehlman1@comcast.net> wrote:
> Now, where was that little d?

I'm sorry, I don't understand the question? Could you elaborate?

> Not picking on you but we need programatic association and clear markup
> which @summary provides today.

This would indeed not be the case with the proposal to have a separate
paragraph (marked up with a <p>) before or after the table.

Could you elaborate on why this is needed?

If we added an attribute like summaryfor="idOfTable" to the <p>, would
that address all the problems you have with this proposed solution? Or
adding a summaryIn="idOfPara" on the <table>. I'm not suggesting this
as a solution, merely trying to understand your complaints with the

Also, this problem (if it indeed is a problem) does not seem to exist
with any of the other solutions proposed. Maciej listed many more than
I did.

/ Jonas