Re: summary="" in HTML5 ISSUE-32

From: David Poehlman <poehlman1@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 13:50:43 -0500
Cc: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, Robert J Burns <rob@robburns.com>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, "Gregory J. Rosmaita" <oedipus@hicom.net>, Leif Halvard Silli <lhs@malform.no>, James Graham <jgraham@opera.com>, Joshue O Connor <joshue.oconnor@cfit.ie>, Steve Axthelm <steveax@pobox.com>, Steven Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>, Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>, HTMLWG <public-html@w3.org>, wai-xtech@w3.org, wai-liaison@w3.org, janina@rednote.net, Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>, Matt Morgan-May <mattmay@adobe.com>, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, "W3C WAI Protocols & Formats" <w3c-wai-pf@w3.org>
To: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Now, where was that little d?

Not picking on you but we need programatic association and clear
markup which @summary provides today.

On Feb 25, 2009, at 1:42 PM, Jonas Sicking wrote:

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 9:23 AM, David Poehlman
<poehlman1@comcast.net> wrote:
> What actually mystifies me and I've been following every nuounce of
> the
> conversation over a long span on several lists is that there has not
> been
> shown to be anything satisfactorily demonstrated to replace what can
> be and
> has been used as such an accessibility enhancing attribute as
> @summary.

Two suggestions I've seen so far are:

* Use a <p> above the table describing the contents of the table.
* Change the definition of <caption> to not just be the title of the
table to also be allowed to contain a summary.

Both these have the advantage if adding accessibility to all users
rather than just ones that use AT clients.

Another suggestion I've thought about is using the table@title
attribute. Title attributes are already often used to add descriptive
information out-of-flow. And title attributes are generally available
in visual UAs in the form of tooltips.

/ Jonas

--
Jonnie Appleseed