Re: another example canvas use- cufon - another accessibility concern and spec contradiction

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009, Steven Faulkner wrote:

> embedded font thingy
> http://cufon.shoqolate.com/generate/
>
> good to see that they have included fallback content for the canvas
> text, but seems that the bit in the spec:
>
> "Authors should not use the canvas element in a document when a more
> suitable element is available. For example, it is inappropriate to use
> a canvas element to render a page heading: if the desired presentation
> of the heading is graphically intense, it should be marked up using
> appropriate elements (typically h1) and then styled using CSS and
> supporting technologies such as XBL."
>
> Is going to be ignored, so should be rewritten to take this use into account.

XBL isn't currently available in practice, so the above advice doesn't yet
apply. Don't forget that HTML5 is not going to be in CR for years; it
really is addressed for a world that doesn't exist yet (but which we have
reason to believe will exist in due course).

> It also seems that this
> "4.8.2.1.4 Text that has been rendered to a graphic for typographical effect
> Sometimes, an image just consists of text, and the purpose of the
> image is not to highlight the actual typographic effects used to
> render the text, but just to convey the text itself.
>
> In such cases, the alt attribute must be present but must consist of
> the same text as written in the image itself."
>
> becomes contradictory as it's a "should" for image of text in canvas,
> but "must" if the exact same text is  jpeg,png etc  image.

Oops, fixed.