Re: summary="" in HTML5

Steven Faulkner wrote:
> Hi Ian,
>
>> Before I jump in to the e-mails themselves, I want to make sure we all
>> agree on the underlying goals that we are trying to accomplish.
>
>> Problem statement: some users find navigating tables complicated, and
>> would like a description of the table so that they can make better use of
>> the table. Such users might be blind, using an accessibility tool, or
>> might have cognitive difficulties, or might just be unfamiliar with the
>> structure of particularly complicated tables.
>
> I don't agree with the underlying goals in relation to @summary, the
> use of @summary has  been discussed in terms of its scope as set out
> in HTML 4.01
>
> "This attribute provides a summary of the table's purpose and
> structure for user agents rendering to non-visual media such as speech
> and Braille."[1]
>
> It is and does try to solve a subset of your problem statement, the
> other aspects of your problem statement can be handled by providing,
> for example, a paragraph before the table with content that describes
> the table.
>
> What @summary does, but HTML5 omission of it does not is provide an
> explicitly associated container for text that can be unambiguously
> identifed as a summary of a data table.

There are at least three mechanisms in HTML 5 for doing something very
similar to this:

aria integration TF)

This suggests that @summary is not needed to fulfill your use case as
stated. I agree that _in principle_ there are minor semantic differences
between @summary and some of those constructs; in practice the data
doesn't support the idea there is a difference in practice.

This suggests that there must be some additional, unstated, component of
your use case. It would be helpful to identify that because at the
moment the fact that @summary fails to fulfill the wider use case that
Hixie set out (that is: making tables understandable to all users, not
just users of a particular class of AT), suggests that it is not a very
helpful attribute to introduce.

(As an aside, to continue my earlier theme, the last of these can
currently be used in combination with <details> to provide a short
description and a longer one for those who need a longer summary. I
believe it could also be used in the other two cases, if the content
model in the spec were updated to allow it. This idea of a brief summary
followed by more information for those who need it matches the WCAG2
technique for the use of @summary, which may or may not represent actual
user needs. It is possible that use of <details> may be hindered by UA
adoption and the (in)ability of authors to customise it to their display
preferences.)