Re: ISSUE-4: Versioning, namespace URIs and MIME types

From: Laurens Holst <lholst@students.cs.uu.nl>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 15:02:02 +0100
To: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
CC: Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>
Maciej Stachowiak schreef:
> I would argue that binary formats are different from text formats.
> Because binary formats make extensive use of magic numbers, generally
> detection by content-sniffing is more reliable than detection via an
> external label like a MIME type. Also, it is rarely the case that a
> single piece of binary data could validly be interpreted according to
> one of several formats. With text formats, one may well have a single
> file that could be served as text/plain, text/html and
> application/xhtml+xml with different intended processing in each case.
> With binary formats, this just doesn't come up.

Well, at least in my assembler days, I made several executables that
could also be printed with ‘type’ (which would show a manual or some
kind of message), and I wasn’t the only one doing that.

~Laurens

--
Note: New email address! Please update your address book.

~~ Ushiko-san! Kimi wa doushite, Ushiko-san nan da!! ~~
Laurens Holst, student, Utrecht University, the Netherlands
Website: www.grauw.nl. Backbase employee; www.backbase.com