Re: summary="" in HTML5

From: William Loughborough <wloughborough@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 19:42:54 -0800
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: "Gregory J. Rosmaita" <oedipus@hicom.net>, Leif Halvard Silli <lhs@malform.no>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, James Graham <jgraham@opera.com>, Joshue O Connor <joshue.oconnor@cfit.ie>, Steve Axthelm <steveax@pobox.com>, Steven Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>, Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>, HTMLWG <public-html@w3.org>, wai-xtech@w3.org, wai-liaison@w3.org, janina@rednote.net, Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>, Matt Morgan-May <mattmay@adobe.com>, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, "W3C WAI Protocols & Formats" <w3c-wai-pf@w3.org>
I believe that this is a flawed premise. How can one KNOW that it is
"better"? We have so many examples that "pay attention" is time-sensitive,
i.e. it could very well (perhaps even likely?) be that over time "rarely
used" features become rightly used. That there is any causal connection
between wrong use and ignored features doesn't seem all that clear.

The "poster child" for this view is the longdesc feature. Over time it could
easily become central to elucidation of whatever is there because of the
training in Web Design curricula - and these effects take a very long time
to prevail. But claiming causality is untenable on the usual contention that
since smoke alarms are seldom used, they shouldn't be mandatory in building
codes.

Love.