Re: Example canvas element use - accessibility concerns

From: Karl Dubost <karl+w3c@la-grange.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 19:35:05 -0500
Cc: "John Foliot - WATS.ca" <foliot@wats.ca>, "'Geoffrey Sneddon'" <foolistbar@googlemail.com>, "'HTML WG'" <public-html@w3.org>, "'W3C WAI-XTECH'" <wai-xtech@w3.org>
To: Rob Sayre <rsayre@mozilla.com>

Le 20 févr. 2009 à 19:10, Rob Sayre a écrit :
> I do agree that validators can encourage people to do things, or
> alert them to problems they weren't previously aware of. I'm curious
> how a validator would deal with the requirements in Ian's draft for
> the alt attribute. I also know of a very successful validator that
> manages to inform users of problems not quite covered by spec
> requirements. Here's an example:
>
> <http://feedvalidator.org/docs/warning/NotInline.html>

Yes very good validator.

Olivier has been recently working on fuzzy matching for the W3C Markup
Validator.
http://www.w3.org/blog/systeam/2009/02/16/validator_fuzzy_match

> So, while I agree that specs beget validators, I disagree that
> validators need RFC2119 imperatives to do their job in this case.

I didn't say that. :)

>> "Not working well at this point in the message…" I think I
>> understand your goal, but "reality" and "real world" should be
>> banned from all discussions we have about technologies. These
>> expressions are a smoke screen to the actual issues
>
> There are certainly W3C Working Groups that appear to have banned
> those terms. I don't think it is a good idea.

Let me put back the part you cut ;)

Le 20 févr. 2009 à 18:30, Karl Dubost a écrit :
> and often a flag to promote the idea of one's group on the line of
> "My reality is real, not yours." :)

The issue is that talking about reality add a layer of semantic
indirection in the discussion.

> <http://code.google.com/webstats/>
> Is a good survey.

was a good survey. You should look at the awesome work that Brian
Wilson has recently published.
http://dev.opera.com/articles/view/mama/

Btw There is a call for suggestions for MAMA 2.0
http://www.iheni.com/ask-mama-what-the-web-is-made-of/

> Looks like there are a lot of alt attributes out there. I wonder how
> many are empty, and how many are valid according to the requirements
> in Hixie's draft (difficult to measure!)

Yes very difficult to measure. It needs often human checking. Plus the
evaluation of a useful alt will again depends on the context.