Re: ISSUE-4: Versioning, namespace URIs and MIME types

From: Rob Sayre <rsayre@mozilla.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 02:36:50 -0500
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
CC: Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>
On 2/19/09 2:24 AM, Ian Hickson wrote:
> I'm not aware of a successful Web technology that is truly versioned at
> all other than HTTP, and there's very little effect even there (by
> convention only? I forget if it is actually supposed to have an effect).

Here's a quote from RFC 2616

"A proxy MUST NOT forward a 100 (Continue) response if the request
message was received from an HTTP/1.0 (or earlier) client and did not
include an Expect request-header field with the "100-continue" expectation."

I guess that makes HTTP 1.1 a successful monolithic IETF specification
with ad-hoc "versioning" that happens to have a numerical component. I
think this discussion is an epic waste of time.

- Rob