RE: Example canvas element use - accessibility concerns

David Bolter wrote:

> John Foliot - WATS.ca wrote:
>
> Okay then let's make sure that happens. Where and how is it likely to
> happen?

A less annoyed JF suggests that you try to work within the HTML WG.  I have
not had much success with them in the past, and frankly have personally
given up trying - but other calmer voices continue to hammer away.

Sam Ruby has now suggested (If I understand what I read) that if folks want
to go off and work on aspects of the current spec out-of the mainstream, and
then return with a better proposal that the WG *should* be receptive of the
work, and not dismiss it out-of-hand.  Whether or not this will be
successful remains to be seen, but having Sam in there has renewed my faith
somewhat that saner voices *can* prevail, and that the daily active members
(check out the IRC band to see the cast of characters) do not completely
hijack the final spec.

There *is* a need for E & E here, but we also need a spec with some teeth in
it that ensures that content creators *do* what must be done, and not simply
a suggestion that it is a good idea, but people are people and we don't want
to get anyone's nose out of joint by *forcing* them to do something... which
seems to be the prevailing wind within the WG.  I continue to argue that any
element within HTML 5 must have a mandated requirement to ensure
accessibility, whether it be the @alt, @longdesc, @summary issues, or
mandated accessible fallback for <canvas>.

Good luck.

JF