Re: ISSUE-4: Versioning, namespace URIs and MIME types ISSUE-60

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 14:44:04 -0500
To: Robert J Burns <rob@robburns.com>
CC: HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>
Robert J Burns wrote:
> You never did provide such an example, despite my repeated requests to
> do so.

Again.  I'm implementing an editor widget.  I would like both XHTML2 and
XHTML1 documents to be able to include it.  I would like to create valid
markup for the editor controls.  I want to have some graphical buttons
(for inserting headers, indent, outdent, etc, etc).  I want to make
those buttons accessible via setting their alternate content.  I create
the editor UI via script (in fact, my whole product is just a JavaScript
file that the including page can reference; it can then point me to a
particular place in the document and say "put an editor here".

See also http://www.fckeditor.net/ (which I've explicitly mentioned in
this thread).

If XHTML1 and XHTML2 don't share a namespace, I can simply use whichever
one I want for my images; as long as I match up my namespace with the
way I set up the alt text it all works.

If they share a namespace, then I need to detect what sort of document
(or part of document if being used in an SVG foreignObject) the editor
is ending up in and tailor my alt text setting accordingly.  That is, I
have to guess what the UA will detect my nodes as.  Given that UAs are
likely to have different detection heuristics (such detection actually
getting specified would be a miracle), I'm more or less screwed.

I don't know how to make this any more clear.

-Boris