Re: Example canvas element use - accessibility concerns

From: Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 17:00:28 +0100
Cc: Philip Taylor <pjt47@cam.ac.uk>, Steven Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>, W3C WAI-XTECH <wai-xtech@w3.org>, Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net>
To: Alexander Surkov <surkov.alexander@gmail.com>
On Feb 18, 2009, at 16:26 , Alexander Surkov wrote:
>> Well the canvas text API gets text in, so it's possible that one
>> could get
>> text out.
>
> I thought about that. I believe it's possible. It should be good for
> simple cases but not for Bespin case because they draw caret,
> selection - it means they should fire proper a11y events to AT - I
> don't realize the way how to implement this.

That would have to be done inside Bespin but it doesn't sound
impossible. Bespin has a internal event system that means various
actions could be watched, and then dispatched to an AT API expose to
JS. I realise that that might be a few steps ahead of what we have
today, but it might be an option.

--
Robin Berjon - http://berjon.com/