RE: ISSUE-4: Versioning, namespace URIs and MIME types

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 10:18:39 -0600
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>
On Tue, 2009-02-17 at 03:35 +0000, Ian Hickson wrote:
[...]
> In conclusion: XHTML5 does not have a new conflict with XHTML2 even if
> both use the same namespace. The conflict, insofar as there is one that
> matters, already exists between XHTML1 and XHTML2, and exists irrespective
> of XHTML5. I believe this issue to therefore be out of scope for the HTML5
> specification, and do not propose to do anything about it (except for
> changing the "relationship to XHTML2" section if they do indeed publish a
> version of XHTML2 that reuses the same namespace).

It seems they did publish such a draft:

"Change XHTML 2.0 namespace to http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"
 -- http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/WD-xhtml2-20060726/

I'm told it was by popular demand, so perhaps lots of demand
in the other direction would get it changed.

Myself, I'm content with the "ignore it and see if it
goes away" approach.

gpg D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E