Re: What's the problem? "Reuse of 1998 XHTML namespace is potentially misleading/wrong"

On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 20:10:48 +0100, Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>
wrote:
> HTML5 isn't being designed for incorporation in arbitrary generic XML
> compound documents in any case.

My understanding is that it is and we are supporting it in such a way.
E.g. allowing people to use <input type="url"> or <canvas> inside the SVG
<foreignObject> element, allowing MathML and SVG to be embedded in HTML,
etc.

We also support <canvas> or <script> in cases such as

   <foo xmlns="http://namespaces.example.com/rock">
    <bar xml="is:cool"/>
    <canvas xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" id="x"/>
    <script xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
     alert("one green rect coming up");
     c = document.getElementById("x");
     con = c.getContext("2d");
     con.fillStyle = "lime";
     con.fillRect(0,0,c.width,c.height);
    </script>
   </foo>

... if that is what you mean with "arbitrary generic XML compound
documents" and do not intend to suddenly stop supporting that.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/