Re: [html5] proposal to add <text> element.

From: Leif Halvard Silli <lhs@malform.no>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2009 18:34:21 +0100
To: "Philip TAYLOR (Ret'd)" <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk>
CC: Andrew Fedoniouk <news@terrainformatica.com>, public-html@w3.org
Philip TAYLOR (Ret'd) 2009-02-15 17.24:
> Returning from the digression (to the use of
> HTML and RTF for e-mail) to Andrew's deeper
> point :
>
> Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:
>
>> Having it in place will help to deal with the text in WYSIWYG editors
   [...]
> If you want WYSIWYG editing, then I seriously suggest
> that you should not be considering HTML at all, at
> least in terms of what you eventually serve to your end-
> reader; by all means use HTML and CSS as intermediates,
> but then render the resulting code within a constrained
> environment and serve the results using a page-description
> language such as Adobe PDF.

For a person like Andrew, which is in the business of making HTML
WYSIWYG editors, this is a fruitless point, I guess.

A good WYSIWYG editor may help many to write /more/ structured.

And, knowing that you use SeaMoneky: I use Thunderbird, and one
reason for doing so is because it lets me use a WYSIWYG HTML
editor during writing. Thunderbird will convert this to text when
it sends it out, though (depending on the configuration, of
course). E.g. it has a useful conversion from WYSIWYG HTML lists
to text lists ... And also from STRONG (or bold) to *bold* etc.

Regardless of editor: one has to know what one is doing.
--
leif halvard silli