Re: What's the problem? "Reuse of 1998 XHTML namespace is potentially misleading/wrong"

From: Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 11:19:44 +0100
Cc: Robert J Burns <rob@robburns.com>, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>, Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>, "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>, plh@w3.org
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>

On Feb 12, 2009, at 10:30 , Julian Reschke wrote:
> The problem is that you do not always have context.
>
> For instance, XHTML elements can appear in many other XML documents,
> re-using the document markup semantics. In this case, you frequently
> have a single element, and no context at all.

That's a problem of the host language. Some elements need context and
that's the end of their story. I don't think that <li> is broken
because you don't know what type of list item it is without its
container, or that svg:rect is broken because while it retains its
semantics it cannot be rendered without a container to define its
viewport.

If a host language reuses from XHTML, then it's up to it to provide
the necessary context for interpretation.

--
Robin Berjon - http://berjon.com/