Re: Rendering section feedback

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 10:49:56 +0000 (UTC)
To: Olivier GENDRIN <olivier.gendrin@gmail.com>
Cc: public-html <public-html@w3.org>

On Wed, 11 Feb 2009, Olivier GENDRIN wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 4:07 AM, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
> > On Tue, 3 Feb 2009, Olivier GENDRIN wrote:
> >> Event if noscript is a block element [1] in HTML 4.01, I think that we
> >> should spec display: compact or run-in, because the noscript tag could
> >> be used in an inline or bloc environment (I never used these values of
> >> display, so I can't tell which one would be the best one).
> >
> > I've left it as 'inline'.
>
> Does the spec allow block element to be embed into inline ones ? I did
> not find it in the W3C version.

The content model restrictions have nothing to do with the rendering
display types. You can see the (quite complex) content model rules for
<noscript> in the <noscript> section:

   http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/semantics.html#the-noscript-element

Basically <noscript> accepts anything its parent would have accepted, and
it can be used anywhere <div> or <span> can be used.

HTH,