Re: head@profile: another dropped attribute

Henri Sivonen 2009-02-06 10.07:
> On Feb 6, 2009, at 08:31, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>> On Feb 5, 2009, at 7:01 PM, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
>>> Henri said that <font> is out for ideological reasons. That was a
>>> claim about the non-WHATWG people, mostly. Then you offered the
>>> "alternative" description that WHATWG started from zero. That to me
>>> is simply a confirmation of what Henri said - namely that WHATWG
>>> represents the non-ideological voice.
>>
>> I am pretty sure Henri was referring to Ian Hickson's ideology
>> (specifically strong belief in separating presentation from content)
>> when he referred to <font> being out for ideological reasons. I don't
>> think he meant to insult non-WHATWG participants,

What I was after was not "who insulted whom", but (self-)reflexion
on the "from zero" standpoint.

> Maciej's interpretation is what I meant. (However, I think in addition
> to Hixie's own strong belief, there's a public relations component
> catering to the strong belief of readers of A List Apart and affiliated
> publications.)

Once again a few needless words about A List Apart. Please note
that "Font tag considered harmful" has been a slogan of the
authoring advice found on the W3 MarkUp front page since at least
1999[1] until today[2]. (Probably that slogan has not had the same
meaning all the time, though.)

> In the interest of being fair and balanced, I note that Hixie disagreed
> with my assessment on IRC and said the non-conformance of <font> is
> motivated by the Media Independence design priciple.

A fair point of him. I think, however, that there should be

[1]
http://web.archive.org/web/19990423105741/http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/
[2] www.w3.org/MarkUp
--