Re: head@profile: another dropped attribute

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 11:07:22 +0200
Cc: Leif Halvard Silli <lhs@malform.no>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, Rob Sayre <rsayre@mozilla.com>, Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>
To: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>

On Feb 6, 2009, at 08:31, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> On Feb 5, 2009, at 7:01 PM, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
>> Henri said that <font> is out for ideological reasons. That was a
>> claim about the non-WHATWG people, mostly. Then you offered the
>> "alternative" description that WHATWG started from zero. That to me
>> is simply a confirmation of what Henri said - namely that WHATWG
>> represents the non-ideological voice.
>
> I am pretty sure Henri was referring to Ian Hickson's ideology
> (specifically strong belief in separating presentation from content)
> when he referred to <font> being out for ideological reasons. I
> don't think he meant to insult non-WHATWG participants,

Maciej's interpretation is what I meant. (However, I think in addition
to Hixie's own strong belief, there's a public relations component
catering to the strong belief of readers of A List Apart and
affiliated publications.)

In the interest of being fair and balanced, I note that Hixie
disagreed with my assessment on IRC and said the non-conformance of

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi