Re: Design principles - building from justification

On Thu, 5 Feb 2009, Philip TAYLOR wrote:

> I think that "building from justification" is an excellent basis for
> language design.  The only problem I have with this in relation to HTML
> 5 is that I am unaware how to locate the justification adduced for each
> element and each attribute that currently appears in the HTML 5 draft
> specification, short of reading through the entire WHATWG and
> Public-HTML correspondence to date.
>
> Ian, you have (I think) been involved in this project from the very
> outset : could you please let me (and any other members of this WG who
> are similarly ill- informed) know where this vital information may be
> found ?

In my head, mostly, though as you note, a lot of the reasoning is also on
the mailing lists. If anyone wants to volunteer to write up the reasoning
for the features in (or not in!) the HTML5 spec, I'd be happy to meet with
them and given them a "brain dump".

See also:
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2008Jul/0396.html