Re: [html-author] Updates to the HTML Reference

From: Leif Halvard Silli <lhs@malform.no>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 19:32:57 +0100
To: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
CC: HTMLWG <public-html@w3.org>, murray@muzmo.com

Lachlan Hunt 2009-02-04 10.59:
> Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
>> Lachlan Hunt  at Tue, 03 Feb 2009 02:52:06 +0100:
>>> That title was too long, so I'd rather not.  I may consider using HTML 5
>>> Guide, though not until we are at least sure we have a common
>>> understanding of the two types of documents.
>> According to Wikipedia[1] a reference is:
>> "... a previously published written work within academic publishing
>> which has been used as a source for theory or claims referred to which
>> are used in the text."
> That's an entirely different type of reference.  I'm using it in the
> language reference sense.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programming_language_reference

That Wikipedia article points to two such references "in the
wild", nameley "Ada 2005 Language Reference **Manual**" and
"Python Language Reference **Manual**".

So, what that article talks about really isn't "Language
References", but "Reference Manuals". Also see "Annotated
Reference Manual", which links to the same article.

Of course, if you had said "reference manual", then it would have
been much clearer what kind of reference you are aiming at.

May I suggest "The HTML 5 author's reference manual"?
leif halvard silli