Re: Spec license (was: Re: Discussions with plh)

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2009 05:18:40 -0800
Cc: Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>, plh@w3.org
To: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>

On Feb 2, 2009, at 11:47 PM, Henri Sivonen wrote:

>  * Is the intent to license the IDL pieces also under a software-
> oriented license that has previously been found suitable for
> licensing software interfaces in a way that doesn't unduly interfere
> with the licenses of downstream projects using the interface
> definitions? (Consider the recent W3C interface licensing discussion
> in connection to use in Batik.)

For IDL, it would be helpful if open source browser engines such as
Gecko or WebKit could incorporate it directly, so a license known to
be compatible with the LGPL (for WebKit) and with MPL/LGPL/GPL tri-
license (for Gecko) would be best. I believe an MIT style license fits
the bill. This would also allow proprietary browser engines to
incorporate spec IDL if they choose to.

Regards,
Maciej