Re: Public feedback on HTML5 video

From: Edward O'Connor <hober0@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 15:54:18 -0800
To: Philip Jägenstedt <philipj@opera.com>
Cc: Jeremy Keith <jeremy@adactio.com>, HTMLwg <public-html@w3.org>
I had written:

>> 1. Do whatever the browser thinks best. [no autobuffer attribute]
>> 2. Please autobuffer. [autobuffer="on"]
>> 3. Please *don't* autobuffer. [autobuffer="off"]

Philip replied:

> I do not support making this distinction, because as an implementor I cannot
> act any differently in case 1 and 3. Any browser that has gone to the effort
> of being conservative with network resources will want that behavior even if
> autobuffer="off" is given. Unless there is some browser vendor who can see
> themselves acting differently in case 1 and 3, this just adds a bit of
> complexity and the illusion of control on part of the author where there is
> in fact none.

Ahh, OK. That makes sense. So we collapse 1 and 3 together and arrive at:

1. Do whatever the browser thinks best, which is likely to be
   conservative insofar as network usage is concerned [no autobuffer attr]

2. Please autobuffer. [autobuffer attribute present]

…which is the status quo. Sounds good to me.

Ted

…the end of all our exploring
will be to arrive awhere we started
And know the place for the first time.