Re: Public feedback on HTML5 video

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 11:29:25 -0500
To: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>
CC: Philip Jägenstedt <philipj@opera.com>, "Edward O'Connor" <hober0@gmail.com>, Jeremy Keith <jeremy@adactio.com>, HTMLwg <public-html@w3.org>
On 12/29/09 9:21 AM, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
>> It just seems to me that any sane browser would conserve bandwidth if it
>> knows how to, allowing the author to ask for that is a little bit like
>> <script slowdown="no">.
>
> I would say that John Gruber's discovery has contradicted this statement.

How so?  If I understood Maciej correctly, Safari would like to conserve
bandwidth here, but just doesn't quite know how to yet given its use of
quicktime.  Firefox does as good a job of conserving bandwidth as it
knows how to, if @autobuffer is missing.  What exactly did John discover
that contradicts the above statement?

Note that the "if it knows how to" part of that statement is key, since
autobuffer="no" is useless if the browser just doesn't have a way to not
autobuffer.

> Also, if we really are asking for no autobuffering when the attribute
> is not present, then this has to be stated in the HTML5 standard.

_That_ I agree with.

-Boris