Re: Public feedback on HTML5 video

From: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2009 23:27:23 +1100
To: Karl Dubost <karl@la-grange.net>
Cc: HTMLwg WG <public-html@w3.org>
Karl Dubost wrote:
> Le 24 déc. 2009 à 06:47, Lachlan Hunt a écrit :
>> Of course, the browser should be free to ignore the attribute either way.
>
> I understand the full reasoning, except this line.
> What solves "ignore the attribute"? be user experience and/or interoperability?

Reasons for ignoring the attribute would depend on the user's browsing
environment or preferences.  e.g. Ignoring an author's suggestion to use
autobuffering on a limited or costly connection, or perhaps ignoring a
suggestion to not autobuffer based on a user's site preference.

Consider a user that visits a particular site that they visit to
explicitly watch the the latest video, but the site author has included
a suggestion to not autobuffer.  The user may set a site specific
preference in their browser to always autobuffer videos on that
particular site, so it optimises their own user experience.

--
Lachlan Hunt - Opera Software
http://lachy.id.au/