Re: http content type authoritative for object data?

On Dec 11, 2009, at 3:21 AM, Julian Reschke wrote:
> Ignoring the <embed> for a moment... The <object> tags looks good to me, the type is not declared, and the HTTP response has

> (speaking of which: is there an IANA-registered media type for this?)

No.  Adobe/Macromedia, Microsoft, and Sun usually fail
to register media types before deployment, though parts of
MS has been improving in that regard.  They can't even get
the simple part right about NOT using a name that begins
with "x-" because such names are supposed to be local-only
and not exposed to the Internet.

The "x-" prefix is the single most brain damaged tradition
of the IETF, and it can't seem to fix itself.  All of the
original Web media types got it wrong as well -- moving from
text/x-html to text/html was a major pain in the ass.
At this point we should just add the common x-types to the
registry because none of the major vendors will switch to a
different type after the original is deployed.

....Roy