Re: http content type authoritative for object data?

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 2:51 AM, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de> wrote:
> Jonas Sicking wrote:

>>> Step 1 is to *allow* a UA to treat the HTTP content-type as
>>> authoritative.
>>
>> I disagree. As a browser developer, data based on research is much
>> more likely to convince me that something will not break the web than
>> a spec forbidding, requiring, allowing or recommending any particular
>> behavior. That is step 1.
>
> So if what the spec requires isn't your top consideration you probably
> shouldn't care whether it requires or just allows ignoring the HTTP
> content-type.

I still care what the spec says, for wholly different reasons. I still
want the spec to be a useful reference for people writing UAs, as well
as for people authoring content / writing tutorials for people
authoring content.

What I was more hoping for though was that someone on this list would
care enough about improving the web by making it possible for UAs to
do what we all want them to do. I.e. doing the legwork to do the
research and contacting the relevant sites.

I'm still hoping to hear someone step up to do this.

/ Jonas