Re: Bug 8404 -- taking it to the lists

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 12:02:46 -0600
To: Shelley Powers <shelley.just@gmail.com>
Cc: Jeroen van der Gun <noreplytopreventspam@blijbol.nl>, public-html <public-html@w3.org>
On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 11:46 AM, Shelley Powers <shelley.just@gmail.com> wrote:
> And I can probably bring in another couple hundred references in
> addition to the above and Laura's, all describing tables and figures
> as two different things. AND, where it makes sense to the field,
> examples and equations are listed as a third item.

As I said in regards to Laura's list, this is not the correct
conclusion to draw.  When looking at the full context, it seems clear
that the discrimination between "figures" and "tables" is in name
only.  They are recommending not *labeling* tables as figures.
However, in actual usage, tables and figures are very often presented
identically.

Thus those injunctions should be taken, at most, as guidelines for
what to use in the caption of the <figure> element.  The stylistic
nature of the tables and figures indicates that they would be best
served by a single element.

~TJ