Re: Bug 8404 -- taking it to the lists

From: Jeroen van der Gun <noreplytopreventspam@blijbol.nl>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 21:33:34 +0100
To: Shelley Powers <shelley.just@gmail.com>
Cc: public-html@w3.org
2009/12/1 Shelley Powers <shelley.just@gmail.com>:
> We have complete disagreement right from the start: tables and images
> are _not_ the same thing.

Yes they are. For example, tables, equations and pretty much
everything else can be turned into an image file and then be embedded
in the document as an image. If I have a document with a table, and I
replace the table by a screenshot of it (using the img element to
include the screenshot), it still is a table (you would still number
it like "Table 4.3"), although the table element is not used. There is
no hard separation between these things.

> Folks are focusing on getting something to work -- caption with
> something else. If you all want to create a new element that is
> nothing more than a lump of HTML with a caption, what do we call a
> section? Or an article?

A figure element differs from a section or an article in that they can
be moved around in the same document, they are not tied to a specific
place. The order of section elements cannot be changed. Article
elements on the other hand could be removed from the document and
distributed via a different website. This would not be appropriate for
figures. Nested article elements are only vaguely related to their
parent (e.g. they do no inherit contact data). So a figure is between
an article and a section.

Jeroen van der Gun
http://www.jeroenvandergun.nl