Re: Bug 8404 -- taking it to the lists

From: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 16:38:42 +0100
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Cc: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>, Shelley Powers <shelley.just@gmail.com>, HTMLWG WG <public-html@w3.org>
Tab Atkins Jr., Tue, 1 Dec 2009 08:45:32 -0600:
> On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 8:38 AM, Leif Halvard Silli:
>> What you did not prove anywhere, is that people will *not* have a
>> difficult time understanding what <figure> is about.
>
> It was not my intention to do so; I was merely trying to shoot down a
> particular wrong justification I saw being bandied about.
>
> That being said, I don't think people will have any trouble with it.
> The spec is quite clear, and the definition of the element matches
> extremely well with what we call "figures" in books and articles
> today.  Tutorials should have an easy time explaining it, since they
> can just point to a magazine article as an example of a figure.
>
>> Shelley, as a solution, suggests refocusing <figure> to only allow
>> graphics, media elements and foreign content (svg/math) and some more.
>
> Indeed, and she used as justification a statement that figures are, in
> common use, only used for captioning illustrations.  I showed that to
> be trivially false; it is very common to put code and tables in
> figures.

The justification I quoted - in her last paragraph (which you pointed
out) - was related to what authors would be able to understand - how
easily and so on.

To use a table as a "figure" is advanced use. Advanced uses will be
able to do it.

But if figure in itself is advanced, then it will not be used for
simple things, like image captions - which is one of the elements that
actually could need a caption:
http://www.w3.org/Style/Examples/007/figures
--
leif halvard silli