Re: ISSUE-53: mediatypereg - suggest closing on 2009-09-03

On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 13:45:05 +0200, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
wrote:
> Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>> Can you answer my questions assuming the last sentence is dropped. That
>> is, why is this a requirement for media type registrations and where is
>> that documented?
>
> I don't know whether it's documented (and where), but I think it's
> obvious as the media type is supposed to describe existing content as
> well.

For HTML content my experience is that HTML5 does a much better job at
that than HTML1-4. Consider for instance that 95% or so documents have a
syntax error. That is kind of the point of HTML5, to describe existing
content better than HTML1-4.

On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 13:49:58 +0200, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
wrote:
> Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>> Is this documented somewhere?
>>  And in what way is HTML5 not sufficient to understand older documents?
>
> For instance, it doesn't describe the *semantics* of head/@profile.

I'll leave this to the parallel thread.

>> Do you think it would be better if UAs used SGML parsers for non-HTML5
>> documents and leave it undefined as to when they should invoke them for
>> a text/html byte stream?
>
> I don't understand that question.

I don't see how you figure out which HTML version the document is in.

I also wonder if you think it is more sensible for UAs to process
non-HTML5 documents using SGML as HTML2-4 arguably prescribe.

>>> It implies that when RFC 3023 gets revised, the reference will need to
>>> be updated. Note, btw, that it uses the un-dated URI as reference.
>>
>>  Should it only point to the latest version or all five?
>
> Depends on what changes were made. The changes in XML 1.0 are *supposed*
> to be only errata being applied (*), so the answer here would be "just
> the latest".

Mkay.

--
Anne van Kesteren