Re: ISSUE-53: mediatypereg - suggest closing on 2009-09-03

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 13:45:39 +0300
Cc: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>, "public-html@w3.org WG" <public-html@w3.org>
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
On Aug 31, 2009, at 13:38, Julian Reschke wrote:

> Ian Hickson wrote:
>> It is pointless to provide semantics of elements (or other
>> features) that are obsolete other than the semantics that form the
>> element's (or the feature's) normative user-agent conformance
>> criteria, since the only effect of such semantics is in deciding
>> whether the element (or feature) is being used correctly, and
>> obsolete elements (and features) can never be used correctly, since
>> they are obsolete and must never be used at all.
>
> That's fine with me. But in that case, the spec doesn't describe
> previous versions sufficiently, and the media type registration
> should continue to also reference previous specifications.

It seems to me that there's a difference of underlying premises here.
Premise 1: HTML5 obsoletes HTML 2.0, 3.2 and 4.01 and XHTML 1.x. New
authoring must use the latest level of the language.
Premise 2: HTML 2.0, 3.2, 4.01 and 5 and XHTML 1.x are all
Recommended. It is appropriate to author new pages using older levels
of the language.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi