Re: ISSUE-53: mediatypereg - suggest closing on 2009-09-03

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 1:23 AM, Ian Hickson<ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Aug 2009, Julian Reschke wrote:
>> Ian Hickson wrote:
>> >
>> > If you think it's obvious, maybe you would be willing to explain it to
>> > me?
>> >
>> > The only interpretation that I can see is that Mike means
>> > non-normative text giving an introduction to the feature to help
>> > authors use it. That, however, is not a definition, and would in any
>> > case be inappropriate for obsolete features such as those being
>> > discussed here.
>>
>> Defining what an element or attribute means isn't "informative"; it's an
>> essential part of specifying a vocabulary.
>
> If by "defining" you mean text with no normative conformance criteria,
> that is untestable, and whose only purpose is to help authors work out
> what the feature is for, then no, that's an essential part of specifying a
> tutorial and is basically only fluff at the specification level. It's
> useful, important even, for features we want authors to use, but it has no
> use whatsoever for obsolete features that authors aren't allowed to use.

I assume that you don't include specifying semantic meaning in
"fluff"? I.e. the spec has always defined that <em> has the semantic
meaning of "emphasis". Like-wise the outline algorithm specifies
semantic meaning of headers and what they cover.

I *think* what is being asked for is defining the semantic meaning of
<a name="...">.

/ Jonas