Re: [html5] Event handler DOM attributes

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 01:53:33 +0000 (UTC)
To: Jens Meiert <jens@meiert.com>
Cc: public-html@w3.org
On Mon, 17 Aug 2009, Jens Meiert wrote:

> Just to make sure, why do we remove at least some presentational
> elements and attributes in HTML 5 [1], yet keep all the event handler
> attributes [2]?
>
> It seems the key problem with both types of markup is the same, namely
> allowing a violation of orthogonality (or separation of concerns) which
> impairs maintainability [3].
>
> [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/html5-diff/#language
> [2] http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/browsers.html
> [3] http://meiert.com/en/blog/20090617/maintainability-guide/#toc-soc

The presentational markup wasn't included in HTML5 because it is
unnecessarily media-dependent. Event handlers don't seem to have this
problem. I don't think it makes sense to force authors to separate their
usir interface logic from their user interface semantics. On the contrary,
it seems preferable to keep them together.