RE: <progress> element and attributes vs. content

From: Adrian Bateman <adrianba@microsoft.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 17:59:12 -0700
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, Smylers <Smylers@stripey.com>, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
On Monday, August 24, 2009 4:47 PM, Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Aug 2009, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> >
> > Agreed precisely; the content parsing is both useful (in that we only
> > have to specify things once, visible vs invisible metadata and all
> > that) and just plain cool.  ^_^
> >
> > Removing it would immediately kill a lot of the appeal of the element,
> > and almost certainly end up with more people *only* updating the
> > attributes and letting the content drift out of sync (once <progress>
> > starts getting UA support, that is).
>
> Ok. Left it in. Thanks.

Is there any data that suggests that not having a content parsing feature that supports simple content really kills the appeal of a progress control? In contrast, there are plenty of progress controls on other platforms that don't have this feature and they do get used. In addition, as I mentioned previously, it is common for people to show a progress control and also update text. This doesn't seem like an impractical burden on developers.

Cheers,

Adrian.