Re: Please Specify Behavior for @rel="next | prev"

On Aug 23, 2009, at 10:34 AM, Doug Schepers wrote:

>> On behalf of Apple: Apple is very likely not willing to follow such
>> a UI
>> requirement in Safari or MobileSafari.
>
> In the proposal I made, it would be a MAY, or at most a SHOULD, in
> which case Apple is free to make that decision not to support it.

I'd be fine with a MAY-level option to make some UI use of prev/next.
But isn't it the case implicitly that browsers MAY provide whatever UI
affordances they want for various <link rel> values, since the spec
does not restrict UI requirements? For example, most browsers nowadays
do have built-in UI for rel="feed". So what difference would it make
to specifically call out prev/next?

That being said, based on the example of rel="feed" and the example
you cited of tabbed browsing, it seems like the way to popularize
particular browser UI changes is to bring your case direct to the
browser vendors. Believe me that we are all highly susceptible to user
feedback, especially when a competing product (Opera in this case)
already has the feature. I can also tell you that at Apple, we have
not heard customers clamoring for prev/next in the way that they did
for tabbed browsing or built-in feed support. I bet customer demand
will make a much bigger difference than a MAY requirement in the spec
to the teams that work on Safari, IE, Firefox and Chrome.

Regards,
Maciej