Re: Please Specify Behavior for @rel="next | prev"

On Sun, Aug 23, 2009 at 08:01, Doug Schepers<schepers@w3.org> wrote:
> However, the 'next' [2] and 'prev' [3] keywords have been around for around
> 15 years, and while they are used in quite a lot of content, browsers still
> don't do anything with them. [4]

When some other pressing life issues are out of the way, I may try and
build a plugin for Vimperator - the text-input-driven Firefox plugin -
to expose some commands for navigating based on rel-next and rel-prev.
I already do this to some extent - I was browsing a rather clumsy
image gallery with 50 items in it on a newspaper website recently. I
was using Vimperator's hinting+search feature, so I could type 'f'
followed by the word 'next' and it would narrow the link choices down
to only those with the word 'next' matched case-insensitively. So I
recorded a macro in Vimperator that would do this by typing '@n'.

Unless anyone has any better suggestions, any plugin I write will
implement this:
"Choosing the first <a> or <link> that defines @rel as each of the
next/previous would mean that both cases are covered."

For Mac users with the new multi-touch trackpads on their laptops,
it'd be pretty neat to have the three-fingered left and right swipe
wired up to use rel-next and rel-prev links on search results, image
galleries etc.

--
Tom Morris
http://tommorris.org/