Re: Path to Last Call (was closing various issues)

Hi Sam,

I have updates for you on some of the issues mentioned in this email
which I hope you will find useful.

On Aug 22, 2009, at 5:17 PM, Sam Ruby wrote:

> Given that you said that issue 53 would only going to take a few
> hours, if it needed to be addressed at all, I don't believe that it
> is on the critical path, so I'm inclined to give Maciej and Julian a
> bit more time to work on it.

Julian, Ian and I all seem to agree that ISSUE-53 needs some form of
WG decision to resolve. I have proposed a lazy consensus resolution
that I hope can resolve the issue. I'm not sure Julian and I need or
want time to work on it - what we need is a WG decision.

> Issue 35 is still open.  I believe that for us to reach closure on
> this will require someone like yourself or Maciej or Henri to
> actually talk to someone like RichardS, StevenF, or Mike Cooper.
> Yes, I understand that in theory this should be something that could
> be accomplished via email, but in practice it simply has not happened.

Previously you said the next steps for ARIA integration[1] were:

A) The ARIA spec needs to enable host languages to make these
distinctions [involving host language semantics].
B) Somebody needs to work out a matrix of potential combinations, for
PFWG/WAI review.

Partial progress has been made on item (A). The PFWG posted their
thoughts[2], but not yet full spec text, and indicated their
willingness to collaborate on working out the details.

Item (B) has been completed. In fact, Ian went beyond the minimum
requirements here and included the matrix and details of the
conformance requirements in the spec, so the full consequences of his
proposal are clear[3]. He also gave a list of questions regarding
details he was unable to resolve based on the PFWG's input so far[4].
This draft may not be perfect in every respect, but it may be
sufficient to get us to Last Call.

I believe the key next step for ISSUE-35 and related is for PFWG to
review the draft text and the set of issues Ian raised, to determine
if there are any problems that they think block Last Call. Given the
detail-oriented nature of any likely issues, I expect email is the
best medium. However, if the PFWG would like to have some phone
discussion, I am willing to facilitate and participate as needed. If
no one raises objections to the draft text in the next two weeks, then
I will consider ARIA-related issues resolved, and will propose that
they be closed.

I believe another next step is for the PFWG to produce ARIA draft text
incorporating their thinking on host language semantics, so we can
verify that ARIA and HTML5 are consistent.

May I also add, it is not clear to me why you have continued to
criticize Ian on ARIA. It seems to me that he did exactly what was
asked, namely incorporate ARIA and engage with PFWG on the details.
And it seems like further discussion is progressing nicely. Is there
anything else you think he needs to do?

> I previously asked you if you could make the call of 13 August.  For
> whatever reason, you did not attend.  I am now asking you if you
> could work with Michael Cooper and/or Richard Schwerdtfeger to find
> a mutual time in which you could participate, via phone, in a
> discussion on what remains to be done to complete issue 74.  And,
> yes, I am intentionally saying issue 74 as that is the one that at
> this point in time looks like it has the most remaining work needed
> to be done.  Issue 35 can proceed in parallel, perhaps even
> exclusively over email.

This Friday, there was a conference call to discuss a proposal for
canvas accessibility. I attended, as did Dave Singer and James Craig
from Apple. I believe you were invited but for whatever reason decided
not to attend. I know it can be hard to gauge the outcome of a telecon
from minutes alone at times, so let me give you my own subjective view.

I believe there was rough agreement (if not yet full consensus) around
an approach to canvas accessibility that, if it is found sufficient
and effective, should be quite straightforward to integrate into the
HTML5 draft. The basic approach being considered is to expose child
elements of the canvas (and their possible ARIA roles and properties)
to assistive technology, even though they are not rendered onscreen.
Some select additional APIs may be needed for certain details, such as
text caret/selection position.

The current next step is to prototype accessible versions of some
Canvas content, to determine if the approach is workable and sound,
and what further additions may be needed. We have volunteers to do
that work. Based on prototyping experience, the group working on this
will make a proposal.

I think more input from Ian would be welcome, but is not on the
critical path at this time. This assessment is based on my personal
involvement with work on this issue. I have also briefed Ian privately
on progress so far. And I have asked the informal group working on
this if they are willing to pull in the deadline for providing a
proposal to the HTML WG, to some point earlier than December.

If you'd like to know any more about the status of this issue, feel
free to ask.

> As can the closing of the other issues that Maciej is doing a
> yeoman's job of clearing out the underbrush.  Ones that look, at
> least to me, like they will require significantly less time than
> resolving how to make canvas accessible.

I'm trying to apply the methodology of software project management. It
is, of course, critical to monitor the critical path task (the
"longest pole out of the tent") and do what is needed to ensure
progress. At the same time, it's necessary to make progress on the
smaller tasks. A project can just as easily be sunk by a flood of tiny
issues, as by one huge issue. In fact, the former seems to be more
common in practice.

In addition, I've discovered that the minimum time to close an HTML WG
issue -- even one where there is no disagreement and no action is
needed -- is about 10 days, including an average of 3 hours of effort
by me (reviewing the issue, drafting email, following up on responses,
attending at least one telecon, doing the tracker mechanics, etc.)
Thus, even the most trivial of issues is going to take some time.

Conclusion: we can't put off the easy issues indefinitely. And I would
appreciate support from the Chairs in getting them closed out.

Regards,
Maciej

[1] http://intertwingly.net/blog/2009/08/12/Mountain-Mohammed-Mohammed-Mountain-Please-Talk#c1250189423
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2009Aug/0962.html