Re: ISSUE-61: conformance-language - suggest closing on 2009-09-03

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 17:05:27 +0300
Cc: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, "public-html@w3.org WG" <public-html@w3.org>
To: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
On Aug 21, 2009, at 16:56, Dan Connolly wrote:

> The original review comment had a proposal:
>
> "Please change the draft so that document conformance does not
> depend on author's intent at all."
>  -- http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2007Aug/1187.html
>
> Is that insufficiently concrete?
>
> I'd like to see that proposal get some consideration.

Obviously, validators cannot check for conformance criteria that
depends on the author's intent.

However, the very concept of semantic markup is useless unless markup
is used according to the intended meaning. Therefore, I think it is
even interop-sensitive (in the sense that receivers process the
messages in ways compatible with sender expectations) that authors use
markup according to the specified semantics.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi