Re: HTML5 Issue 11 (encoding detection): I18N WG response...

Henri Sivonen wrote:

> On Aug 20, 2009, at 10:15, Phillips, Addison wrote:
>
>> Setting UTF-8 as a default may produce the dreaded "black diamonds"
>> on the screen. But so too choosing the wrong encoding at (relative)
>> random.
>
> The thing is, the indication of the user's locale is not random data
> on a personal computer. It's works rather well when people read Web
> pages in their local language and in English, which is the common
> thing to do.

in that case you'd need to implement language specific encoding fall
backs rather than geographical fullbacks.

--
Andrew Cunningham
Senior Manager, Research and Development

Ph: +61-3-8664-7430
Fax: +61-3-9639-2175

Email: andrewc@vicnet.net.au
Alt email: lang.support@gmail.com