Re: feedback requested on WAI CG Consensus Resolutions on Text alternatives in HTML 5 document

On Aug 19, 2009, at 23:43, Jan Richards wrote:

>>> Since the semantic meaning would be "don't trust the @alt string"
>>> I would think the behaviour would be the same as it is now when
>>> @alt is fully missing.
>> This seems more problematic than a pure validator pragma. Why would
>> a generator generate an alt string and a signal for UAs to
>> completely ignore it? More importantly, having an "user agents
>> should ignore alt completely" marker would pose a backward and
>> forward compatibility problem: If the markup generator wants UAs to
>> ignore the alt completely, generating some alt and an "ignore"
>> marker would make old UAs not ignore the alt. If early adopters use
>> the "ignore" marker while testing in current UAs, future UAs would
>> lose potentially useful text alternatives.
>
> I can see the backwards compatibility problem, but not the forwards
> compatibility problem. Why would testers add the "ignore" marker
> while testing in current UAs?

Given enough rope, Web authors do the wildest things for the craziest
reasons. However, here's a plausible non-crazy failure scenario:

Author A creates a document using an authoring tool and fails to make
the document accessible. The authoring tool inserts the "ignore"
marker. Later, author B in author A's organization addresses the
problem that the document is inaccessible. Author B adds sensible alt
text using a text editor. While author B has read introductions to Web
accessibility to know about alt, author B isn't aware of the finer
points of HTML syntax and fails to remove the "ignore" marker. Now the
document is still inaccessible in UAs that honor the "ignore" marker.
Author B could even test the document in older UAs without noticing
the problem.

>> If the user of the tool inserts an image (outside <figure>, etc.
>> special constructs) and doesn't provide a text alternative or
>> rejects (which must be an option under ATAG 2 B.2.4.2.a) a tool-
>> suggested text alternative but doesn't flag the image as omissible
>> from AT presentation, as far as I can tell, generating
>> role=presentation would be wrong by analogy with ATAG 2 B.2.4.4 and
>> generating any alt would be wrong per ATAG 2 B.2.4.3 when the tool
>> has no relevant sources that the UA wouldn't have.
>
> If the author rejects the suggested @alt value, ignores the prompts/
> checks for their own @alt, and turns off the "missing" mechanism
> then....yes, invalidity will result, but at some point, isn't that
> the author's choice?

I meant in the absence of a "missing" mechanism. If a "missing"
mechanism is introduced, it makes no sense for authoring tools to have
UI for micromanaging the "missing" mechanism.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi