Re: role vs aria-role

From: Martin Kliehm <martin.kliehm@namics.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 13:15:39 +0200
To: "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>
On 18.08.2009, at 08:30, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi> wrote:

> On Aug 18, 2009, at 08:33, Jim Jewett wrote:
>
>> Please allow the use of "aria-role" for the purposes currently filled
>> by the "role" attribute in all processing related to aria.
>
> Too late. Implementations have shipped.
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/wai-xtech/2009Mar/0123.html

Also according to the WAI ARIA spec the attribute's name is "role", an
"aria-role" does not exist. I agree it's a little inconsistent and has
historical reasons (originally roles and states & properties were two
separate specs), but that's how it is implemented and what's in the
specs. I'm fine with that and don't see much danger for authors.

http://www.w3.org/TR/wai-aria/#Using_intro