Re: Proposal: <content> element

Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

> I'd bet it's pretty close to:
> <article>
> </article>
>
> Are there cases when this isn't appropriate, and you'd have to instead
> use something like your third example?

Note that, assuming <main> (or <content> or whatever) doesn't interact
with the outline algorithm this example is rather different because
(omitting end tags)

<h1>Site title
<article>
   <article>
     <h1>Article 1
   <article>
     <h1>Article 2
   <article>
     <h1>Article 3
</article>

Would give an outline like

Site title
+--Untitled
    +--Article 1
    |--Article 2
    |--Article 3

Whereas

<h1>Site title
<main>
   <article>
     <h1>Article 1
   <article>
     <h1>Article 2
   <article>
     <h1>Article 3
</main>

would look like

Site title
+--Article 1
|--Article 2
|--Article 3

I have previously advocated changing the outline algorithm to make
untitled sections transparent so that the two documents above would both
give the same outline. However, independent of that change, it seems
that many site designs benefit from some kind of transparent wrapper
around all the main content. Since such a thing would also be useful to
UAs, it seems like a reasonable addition to the language.