Re: feedback requested on WAI CG Consensus Resolutions on Text alternatives in HTML 5 document

On Aug 17, 2009, at 15:36, Steven Faulkner wrote:

> * "Authoring tools and markup generators must generate conforming
> documents.
> what current authoring tools stop the generation of invalid documents?

iWeb and BlueGriffon both generate markup that validates (thanks to
alt="") on the W3C Validator for the actions I put forward earlier.
  1) Create a blank document.
  2) Drag an image file into it from the Finder.
  3) Save.

Neither application prompted me for alt. iWeb reminded me of MobileMe
twice. iWeb also reminded me about copyrights, but not about
accessibility. BlueGriffon prompted me for page title (I typed "Koli"
which is the place where the photo was taken).

iWeb output: http://hsivonen.iki.fi/test/iweb-alt/Site/Blank.html

BlueGriffon output: http://hsivonen.iki.fi/test/bluegriffon-alt/Koli.html
  (note that the image file was not automatically copied to the right
folder)

> how do you see this being enforced in the future?

I expect product reviewers and prospective users to throw some test
output from an authoring application at a validator and complain on
blogs if the result is invalid. In anticipation, authoring application
developers will continue to make their apps emit syntax that doesn't
trigger error messages on a validator. The notable exception is
Dreamweaver which opts for ATAG compliance over HTML validity, but
ATAG 2 compliance and HTML5 compliance shouldn't be mutually exclusive
for authoring app developers.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi