Re: feedback requested on WAI CG Consensus Resolutions on Text alternatives in HTML 5 document

On Aug 16, 2009, at 7:27 PM, Sam Ruby wrote:

> Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

>>> No, but asking for people to justify[1] changes to a spec that has
>>> not yet been determined to represent consensus does.
>> In a disagreement, everyone should be asked to justify their
>> position.
>
> Agreed.
>
>> As I pointed out, the current spec text was given detailed
>> justification[1] based on a great deal of often conflicting feedback.
>
> Do you believe that justification specifically addresses the three
> points of differences you identified between Ian's and Steven's
> documents?

Let's take the three points one at a time:

(2) The Consensus Resolutions document does allow <figure> <legend>
like the spec, but it does not allow @title or a heading for an image-
only section to describe an image. The current spec allows this, only
in the case where the contents of the image are unknown.

- I believe the rationale I cited explained why the HTML5 spec offers
some extra options for describe images in the case where the contents
of the image are unknown. However, it's not clear to me if this
difference is an explicit change request, which is why I asked for
clarification first. Steve already clarified that some of the
differences I identified were not deliberate.

(6) The Consensus Resolutions proposal recommends an explicit
reference from HTML5 to WCAG 2.0.

- I don't believe Ian has given a reason for not referencing WCAG.
Tentatively, my recommendation would be to add a citation of the
latest WCAG for additional accessibility advice, in a general section
such as the introduction or conformance criteria. WCAG provides
additional advice on many features of the spec, and will likely be
updated over time. But I'd like to verify that this satisfies the
goals of those who would like to add a WCAG reference.

(7) The Consensus Resolutions document suggests that alt="" (empty
alt) without role="presentation" on the same element should trigger a
non-fatal validator warning that recommends adding role="presentation".

- I think Ian's justification explains why empty alt is a fine way to
mark presentational images. I don't believe he anticipated this
particular suggested warning, but I think it's reasonable to ask for
motivation before analyzing the request. I believe Leif's feedback
gives some good reasons why this warning is not a good idea. I also
tentatively think it's not a good idea. But I don't want to reject it
out of hand without understanding the motivation.

More generally, I think Ian justified what is currently in the spec,
so it's reasonable to ask requests for changes to be backed up with
some reasoning. It doesn't have to be extensive or detailed - I don't
want to make it a procedural obstacle. But in these cases, a little
explanation could go a long way towards reaching agreement.

>> I don't see what consensus has to do with anything.The lack of
>> declared consensus does not make it any less appropriate to expect
>> people to explain their positions.
>
> I was simply reacting to the fact that you were only asking one side
> to document their rationale.  If Ian's previous answers anticipated
> and already addressed the specific points of differences, then I
> apologize.  Otherwise, I respectfully submit that everyone should be
> asked to justify their position.

If the points of difference are clarified, and Ian disagrees, I will
expect him to justify his position, and will ask him to do so if
necessary. On the ARIA points, I believe he has already agreed.

Regards,
Maciej