RE: Recording teleconferences?

Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> So your opinion is that we should not provide any public recording
> whatsoever if we cannot commit to also offer a transcript?

It is more than just opinion Anne, it is in accordance with an existing W3C
Recommendation - WCAG 2:

Content must be Perceivable:

 * 1.1 Provide text alternatives for any non-text content so that it can be
changed into other forms people need, such as large print, Braille, speech,
symbols or simpler language.
 * 1.2 Provide alternatives for time-based media.
 * 1.3 Create content that can be presented in different ways (for example
simpler layout) without losing information or structure.

(source: http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/ )

The expression "...eating our own dog food" comes to mind here.

Repeatedly members of the WHAT WG/HTML WG have stated that they all want an
accessible web, but when it comes time to actually stepping up to the plate
and doing the hard work, then there is all this back-peddling posturing and
incredulous questioning of basic accessibility statements & requests.  FWIW,
I can get audio converted to text for as little as $1.35 minute - conversion
done by professional transcriptionists - and further I would be prepared to
pay for the first recorded telecom from my own pocket if that is what it
takes (although it strikes me that Opera, Mozilla, Apple, Google and
Microsoft have much deeper pockets than me...).

If you are going to start recording these telecons for an 'enhanced'
understanding beyond IRC logs and scribe's minutes, then these enhanced
recordings should be accessible to all participants.

The answer is an unequivocal YES.

JF