Re: ISSUE-11: default-encoding - suggest closing on 2009-08-20

Maciej Stachowiak On 09-08-14 08.30:

> On Aug 13, 2009, at 11:06 PM, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

>> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/11
>>
>> There has been little discussion since the issue is raised.
>> For compatibility reasons, it is not practical to make UTF-8
>> the default encoding for HTML5 - I believe no implementor of
>> browsers or other influential HTML consumers would be willing
>> to make that change. Therefore I propose we close ISSUE-11 in
>> favor of the current spec text.
>>
>> The default is defined at
>> <http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html#determining-the-character-encoding>,
>>  step #7.

I don't feel that you correctly represent the debate and progress
that has been on this issue. (And neither does the Tracker ...)

Due to debate this year, section 4.2.5.5 now has this:

> Authors are encouraged to use UTF-8. Conformance checkers may
> advise against authors using legacy encodings.
>
> Authoring tools should default to using UTF-8 for newly-created
> documents.
>
> Using non-UTF-8 encodings can have unexpected results on form
> submission and URL encodings, which use the document's
> character encoding by default.

So, it seems the issue can be closed _because_ there has been some
progress ...
--
leif halvard silli