Re: Begin discussions for pushing Last Call into 2010

On Aug 12, 2009, at 4:37 PM, Shelley Powers wrote:

> Well, one thing different is that a Formal Objection would remove
> this discussion out of the group, and give it broader scope.

To be clear about the effect of a Formal Objection: such objections
are considered by the Director at the time of a request to advance.
For example, when we ask to advance to Candidate Recommendation, the
Director will review all Formal Objections raised up until that point.
In practice, the Director is advised by the W3C Team and the relevant
Activity Lead and Domain Lead in giving such consideration. A Formal
Objection does not result in broader review as such, rather it is a
right of appeal.

More of the procedural details are given here: <http://www.w3.org/2005/10/Process-20051014/policies.html#WGArchiveMinorityViews

My experience is that Formal Objections rarely result in the Director
reversing the Working Group, if the Working Group can show it gave due
consideration to the technical issues raised. Mostly they result in
more paperwork for the Chair at transition time.

My guess is that registering a Formal Objection to Canvas would not be
a fruitful action, but it is your right to do so.

Regards,
Maciej