Re: [http-state] cookie dates [was Re: Status update]

On 8/12/09 8:07 AM, "ext Julian Reschke" <julian.reschke@gmx.de> wrote:

> (moving this thread over to public-html)
>
> Those descriptions are simpler, but, at least for my taste, still
> unnecessary hard to read; usage of ABNF would make it more readable.
>
> For instance, when I look at "month" I find:
>
> "2.4.5.1 Months
>
> A month consists of a specific proleptic Gregorian date with no
> time-zone information and no date information beyond a year and a month.
> [GREGORIAN]
>
> A string is a valid month string representing a year year and month
> month if it consists of the following components in the given order:
>
>     1. Four or more digits, representing year, where year > 0
>     2. A U+002D HYPHEN-MINUS character (-)
>     3. Two digits, representing the month month, in the range 1 ¾ month
> ¾ 12"
>
> So it defines "month" (in bold) to be a date, consisting of a year and a
> month (non-bold). This is confusing.
>
> Why not simply say:
>
>    year  = 4*DIGIT ; 4 or more digits, year > 0
>    month = 2DIGIT  ; 2 digits, 1 <= month <= 12
>
>    month-string = year "-" month

I think the specific problem might be when representing a month which
occurred in the period before the Georgian calendar was officially
introduced [1]. The Georgian calendar can be used to represent dates which
occurred prior to its introduction, but I guess you would need to know the
year in order to deal with the issues described in [1].

Cheers,

- johnk

[1]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregorian_calendar#Proleptic_Gregorian_calendar